Minutes of the May 6, 2014 Smyth County School Board Meeting
The Smyth County School Board met today in a called meeting at 5:30 pm, in the gym at Sugar Grove Combined School, 242 Teas Road, Sugar Grove, Virginia, for a public hearing on the possible consolidation of all or part of Sugar Grove Combined School.
CALL TO ORDER
Chairman Choate called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone.
The roll was called by the clerk, and all members were present.
Dr. Robinson made opening remarks regarding the 2014-2015 Smyth County School Board Budget. He also reviewed the Rules of Decorum for Public Comment at School Board meetings.
Chairman Choate declared the public hearing open.
Speakers signed up to speak included:
- Rick Blevins, Rye Valley District Board Member, Smyth County Board of Supervisors;
- Gator Cornett, member of the Sugar Grove Community Council and President of the Sugar Grove Youth League;
- Ralph Bonham, parent of a seventh grader at Sugar Grove Combined School and a volunteer of the Sugar Grove Youth League Basketball Program;
- Kim Slemp, a life-long resident of the Sugar Grove community;
- Melissa Dalton, parent and educator;
- Bill Johnson, parent of a Sugar Grove Combined School student;
- Stuart Orr, parent with two children attending Sugar Grove Combined School;
- Don Bonham, life-long resident of the Sugar Grove community and a member of the Rye Valley Water Board;
- David K. Martin, granddaughter attends Sugar Grove Combined School;
- Chris Stone, Captain of the Sugar Grove Life Saving Crew and a member of the Sugar Grove Community Council;
- Sarah Combs, registered voter and taxpayer of the Sugar Grove community and operates the community's website;
- Dylan Roberts and Easton Medley, students attending Sugar Grove Combined School;
- Tracy Roberts, owner of two restaurants in Smyth County;
- Krystal Ray, a parent of two children attending Sugar Grove Combined School and the Vice-President of the PTO;
- Jamie Brown, a parent of three children attending Sugar Grove Combined School;
- Mary Ellen Hall, great grandson attended this school last year;
- Billy Gwinn, pastor of Sugar Grove Baptist Church and has two children attending the school.
Each speaker spoke in opposition of the current proposal.
Chairman Choate declared the Public Hearing closed.
On motion by Mr. Marion, seconded by Mr. Buchanan, by 7-0 vote, the meeting was adjourned.